Blast Kills One at Philippine Parliament

This blast is probably a terrorist act although no one has claimed responsibility as yet that I have heard. The Glorietta Mall blast turned out to be an accident as I had suspected might be the case. Unless some known group takes responsibility there will probably be all sorts of speculation about who did it! This is from the Manila Tribune.

Batasan blast kills 1, hurts 20

By Gerry Baldo and Charlie Manalo


An explosion tore through the south wing lobby of the legislative Batasan Pambansa building in Quezon City, killing one person and hurting at least two congressmen and six others, witnesses told reporters at press time.

Reported killed in the blast was Marcial Talvo, supposedly the driver of Gabriela Rep. Luzviminda Ilagan, while injured were Negros Oriental Rep. Pryde Henry Teves and Basilan Rep. Wahab Akbar.

House Speaker Jose de Venecia Jr. told a radio interview the blast came from a bomb that exploded in the south wing of the Batasan complex.

A staff of Teves, a certain Maan, was in critical condition, according to a staff of Teves.

Witnesses said the explosion was so strong that a blackout occured at the legislative complex after the explosion.

The explosion happened right after Congress adjourned and when people were already leaving the building, according to witnesses.

Unconfirmed reports said Ilagan was also hurt in the blast and was rushed to Malvar Hospital along Commonwealth Avenue in Quezon City. The report supposedly came from a public information officer of Gabriela.

National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) chief Director

Geary Barias said Teves was seriously hurt from the explosion that happened around 8:07 p.m. yesterday.

At press time, police and government rescue units were trying to extricate Baldo from the Toyota Hi Ace that absorbed the blast impact.

Among those injured were also two members of Teves’ staff. Firemen arrived about 8:20 p.m. Authorities from the Quezon City Police Station 6 also arrived in the area.

Rep. Joel Villanueva of the Citizen’s Battle Against Corruption said on radio he was at the south lobby when he heard a “very loud explosion” inside the premises of House of Representatives. He said he saw at least four hurt, who were brought to the clinic inside the building.

Teves and his two other staff were brought to the New Era General Hospital. The report said the three sustained injuries to their faces, hands and feet.

The gate of the legislative complex was immediately closed to the public after the explosion. Firemen arrived about 8:20 p.m while elements from the Quezon City Police Station 6 also arrived and cordoned off the area from the public shortly afterwards.

Villanueva said he heard the explosion minutes after a House session ended. Witnesses said they saw a Toyota Lite Ace van and another one or two vehicles burning.

Noel Albano, House deputy secretary general for Public Relations and Information, in a radio interview said the explosion came from the ceiling of the south wing. He said the ceiling was partly destroyed.

Another radio report said police officials led by Barrias could not yet determine the kind of device that exploded in the area.


Popular posts from this blog

Danish company uses high tech solution to save water

Over next 3 years Chinese giant Alibaba will invest $15 billion in new technology

Interview with UN Envoy Martin Kobler on situation in Libya