Libyan state oil company releases positive statement after seizure of oil wells by General Haftar
The seizure of the four oil export ports in the Libyan Oil Crescent has resulted in a positive statement from the Tripoli-based National Oil Corporation in contrast to the response of the UN which complained it could hinder expansion of exports.
|The Tripoli-based National Oil Company(NOC) said that it would begin work immediately to restart exports from Oil Crescent ports. NOC chair Mustafa Sanalla said:|
“We welcome statements from the Libyan National Army allied with House of Representatives and the president of the HoR, Aguila Saleh, that the ports should be placed under NOC’s control, our technical teams already started assessing what needs to be done to lift force majeure and restart exports as soon as possible. As Libyans we have a common interest in keeping our oil flowing. By raising oil production and exports we can reduce our budget deficit and pay for vital services.”
Speaking to Dignity Operation's Alhadat TV last Monday, Al-Thanni said the agreement will not be accepted until certain preconditions are met. Based on regional interest, Al-Thanni demanded that 40 percent in net oil revenues must be allocated to the eastern region and the remaining 60% goes to the western and southern regions.Operation Dignity was launched by Haftar back in May 2014 and is to a considerable extent responsible for the present conflict with the GNA. There is no mention of this division in most analyses, including in reports by "experts". An excellent analysis of the situation in this article which argues that the port takeover could provide an opportunity to export more oil also does not mention the issue. Both Haftar and the Tripoli-based NOC speak just of the NOC. But which does Haftar mean?