Monday, June 24, 2019

Tenants in New York apartment block force landlord to provide them a physical key

Tenants in a New York City apartment block have been successful in forcing their landlord to provide them a physical key after the landlord had installed a smart lock on the lobby door.

A physical key said to be a "required service"
CNET reported the settlement: "In a settlement released Tuesday, a judge ordered landlords of an apartment building in New York to provide physical keys to any tenants who don't want to use the Latch smart locks installed on the building last September."
As a result of the settlement, the landlord is obligated to provide each tenant who wishes one with a physical key rather than being forced to use the smart lock.
Smart lock installed last September
After the Latch-brand smart lock was installed last September, five tenants sued their landlord claiming that the use of the smart lock and the accompanying app raised serious privacy concerns. Their lawyer argued that the lock could be used to "surveil, track, and intimidate residents". Latch company denies those claims.
The tenants also argued that 93-year-old Tony Mysak was unable to use the smart lock. The lock controlled access to the building's elevator and Mysak had to struggle to use the stairs. The lawyer argued he was a virtual shut-in since the new system began.
Response of the landlord's lawyer
The attorney for the landlord noted that the lock could be operated using a numeric code so one did not need the app. The Latch company said the residents were given key cards. The company denied that the smart lock captured, stored, or used the GPS location of users of the lock. It also noted that it had updated its privacy policy to make this clear.
In a statement to Verge Latch commented about the settlement: “Latch was not a party to this litigation. We are pleased the parties — a group of five tenants and the building owner — have reportedly reached a private settlement to resolve their disagreement about entry methods to their building’s common spaces. At Latch, we know people have personal preferences about how they access their homes.” The company also pointed out that all its devices are compatible with physical keys.
Problems with smart home devices
While this case resulted in an amicable settlement between the parties, it will not set a legal precedent and it illustrates problems that can arise due to the lack of clear laws as to how the new technology is to be used. Last June the New York Times reported that smart home devices were being used increasingly by domestic abusers who were able to remotely control devices to harass and control others in a home.
There are now Latch smart locks installed in about 1,000 residential buildings just in New York. There are likely to be more cases in which tenants object to their use and end up taking the issue to court.


Previously  published in the Digital Journal

Sunday, June 23, 2019

Protests against Kurdish Syrian Democratic Forces in some areas of Syria

(May 10) The US hopes that the Kurdish Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) that is supported by the US will continue to control a large area of Syria.

SDF controls huge amounts of territory outside of traditional Kurdish area
Many areas outside of traditional Kurd-controlled territory were seized by the SDF when they defeated ISIS with the support of the US. The US hopes that this territory will remain under control of the SDF rather than revert to control by the Assad regime.
However many local Arab tribesmen in these areas do not like SDF control and want control returned to local tribes.
Kurds kill protesters
The Kurds see the protests as helping Iran and Turkey and possibly undermining their victory against ISIS. So far, the main reaction of the Kurds has been to break up the protests killing some no doubt on the ground they are terrorists. SDF forces showed up in Deir el-Zour during a protest. They opened fire killing seven and sending the rest fleeing. This is likely to create more unrest but for the present as long as the Kurds can claim the protests are generated by Iran or ISIS the US is unlikely to complain very loudly.
The Arab tribesmen who are protesting demand better services, jobs, and a larger role in decision-making. The protests are limited to about a dozen villages for now, but they are a growing challenge to the SDF and the US. The demonstrations may serve as an excuse not to remove too many US troops from the area.
An anonymous SDF official said that the protesters were just a small percentage of Deir el-Zour residents but the protests were of benefit to the Assad regime, its Iranian backers and Turkey. He also claimed they were undermining the SDF military victory of ISIS.
Kurds hold talks with local officials
Local officials have held several rounds of talks with the SDF but so far have not made any progress. Although the SDF is not all Kurdish the Kurds are predominant in the group. The SDF was founded in 2015, armed by the US and was meant to fight to fight ISIS. Some are worried that the protests could end up in an uprising against SDF control.
Deir el Zour province is mostly Arab and is uneasy with Kurd rule
The province is suffering from a lack of services, rising crime, fuel shortages, and anger at the perceived growing Kurdish influence.
Some protesters believe that Kurdish fighters sell oil to Assad loyalists as there are severe fuel shortages in Assad-controlled areas aggravated by US sanctions on Syria and Iran. The residents also are angry at forced recruitment by the SDF of Arab residents.
Omar Abu Laila, an activist from the area based in Europe said: “People are fed up with the SDF. They are robbing the wealth of the people in the region.”
Bassam Barabandi a former Syrian diplomat also detailed complaints about the SDF: “The pace of rehabilitation, economic development and provision of essential services has not been sufficient to meet the basic needs of the population. As a result, people are feeling very hopeless about their current situation and the future. They do not see the regime as an acceptable alternative, and they are looking for the U.S. to act.”
Previousl published in the Digital Journal

US will bank Tik Tok unless it sells off its US operations

  US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said during a CNBC interview that the Trump administration has decided that the Chinese internet app ...