Monday, March 15, 2010

Iran Dismantles U.S. backed opposition networks.

This just gives the Iranian government more evidence for its claim that the opposition in Iran is all due to US funding and control. Of course some of it is but much of it is not. It is not surprising that many in the opposition plead with the US to keep its distance and even play down any support for them. Support just hurts them! The Iranian contention that the US is funding the opposition is not just propaganda. The US is probably support two terrorists groups as well the MEK and the Balochistan based Jundallah. The 400 million dollar figure was widely reported by Western Sources. It is not Iranian propaganda. Note this.

The White House declined to comment Monday on a news report that US lawmakers last year approved 400 million dollars to ramp up covert operations in Iran to undermine Tehran's leadership.

"I couldn't comment either way," spokeswoman Dana Perino said after The New Yorker magazine reported that the US Congress passed US President George W. Bush's funding request for a dramatic increase in such secret operations.


Iran Dismantles U.S.-Backed Opposition Groups
by THE ASSOCIATED PRESS


Iran said Saturday it has broken up several U.S.-backed opposition networks that were gathering information on nuclear scientists and finding ways to circumvent controls on the Internet meant to deprive the opposition of its most crucial tool.

A judiciary statement carried on the official IRNA news agency said the networks were set up by Iranian opposition groups, including the People's Mujahedeen, and that 30 of their members were arrested.

"A number of organized American cyber war networks were dismantled and 30 influential suspects were arrested ... in a series of complicated security operations in the information technology and communications field," IRNA quoted the statement as saying.

The government has repeatedly accused the U.S. and Britain of provoking the unrest that followed June's disputed presidential election — charges both Washington and London have denied. The statement comes as Washington is pushing for tougher sanctions against Iran over its nuclear program, which the U.S. and other nations fear is aimed at producing weapons. Iran denies such an intention and says its nuclear work is only for peaceful purposes like power generation.

The Iranian statement did not say when the suspects were arrested but it accused the U.S. of using such networks to undermine Iran's ruling system under a policy that it asserted originated in 2006 during George W. Bush's presidency.

"The new intelligence battle known as cyber warfare was made part of the U.S. government's agenda," IRNA quoted the statement as saying. The statement claimed the U.S. Congress approved a $400 million budget for the covert operation that also involved groups seeking to restore Iran's monarchy.

No comments: